The year 1956
A little music from the time . . .
192 Squadron acquired three RB-29As as replacements for its three Lincolns in the first half of 1952. The first two aircraft (WZ966, WZ967) arrived at Watton in April and were joined by the third (WZ968) in June. Work then got underway at the CSE to develop an Elint fit for the aircraft. The modifications, carried out by the CSE, involved the removal of all gun turrets and bombing equipment; fairing over of the rear observation blisters; the conversion of the […]
During the month of February, a Washington aircraft of No.192 Squadron carried out a sigint gathering operation under the control and on behalf of Bomber Command. The sortie lasted a little over eighteen hours, part of which time the aircraft flew on only three engines. The captain of the aircraft, W/Cdr Dixon who was also 192 Squadron’s commanding officer received a commendation from Bomber Command. By March, 527 Squadron had standardised on the Canberra BMk2 for the squadron’s radar calibration […]